Welcome to Movie Reviews of the Reel World

Welcome all to an ongoing review of movies older and newer. I will connect each movie to the next one through its actors, directors, or genre. For example: if one movie has a certain actor, I will connect it to the next movie by picking a movie with the same actor. The connection will not be the same everytime. Luckily for all readers, at the start of every month I will post a list of movies to be reviewed for that month, and as an added bonus, every July will have an actor or director of the month; I will spend the whole month reviewing only movies done by that actor or director. The director or actor of July will be announced every June. Reviews will be posted once a week. Enjoy!































































Saturday, January 8, 2011

"The Machinist" (2004) [R]

     "The Machinist"(2004) is an interesting take on dramatic revelation style movies such as "Memento" (2000) and "The Sixth Sense" (1999). The best way to enjoy this movie is to strip it of its commonalities with other revelation movies and focus on other qualities. Such as the cinematography. The storyline itself, when taken to its basic form, is not at all complex or new. However, when filmed in the way it was and set in the sequence that it was, it becomes a stimulating movie of self-discovery.
     In addition to the cinematography, the movie contains some interesting "connectives." These are unspoken of signs that hark back to other scenes in the film, and they're never given much attention; it is always assumed the audience will catch on. Among others, one of these signs is in the form of a sticky note containing words uttered earlier in the movie. If I write about the other connectives they will give away the meaning of the movie. Viewers will have to see the movie on their own to understand the other signs.
     Now that I've written on things done behind the screen, I must comment on Christian Bale's performance. His job on the part was nothing short of amazing. He knew when to keep his cool and when to lose his mind. I was convinced that he was the role, and not just playing the part; there was not a second in the movie when I could see through his performance. The most shocking factor of his acting in this film was how skinny he became for the role. Everytime I saw Bale in a scene that showed his upper body I was afraid he would collapse out of his inability to hold himself up.
     Although I have said many good things about this film, I must show both sides of the coin, so to speak. The cinematography, the signs, and Bale's performance were all good, however the story itself was nothing special. If this movie was in book form I would not have been thrilled at all. It was too much like other revelation movies made in the past fifteen years or so. I do not recommend it for its story, but I do for its cinematography and for Bale's performance.
          My overall rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment